Throughout my career, I’ve been lucky enough to be involved in most areas of digital marketing but my main focus is helping businesses to increase the volume of relevant visitors to their website while also increasing the likelihood that web visitors will become paying customers.
This means that I increase traffic by utilising a variety of digital marketing strategies including SEO, PPC, Digital PR and Social Media Marketing. To help improve the chances that visitors become buyers I work with businesses to improve their conversion rate using a variety of CRO(conversion rate optimisation) techniques including A/B, data analysis and multivariate testing.
In recent years I’ve also been heavily involved in digital project management and have successfully delivered a number of web projects.
In my spare time I enjoy writing about digital marketing and I’ve been published on websites such as The Guardian and State of Digital.
Here are a few articles I’ve written in the past:
Steal SEO, PPC & Content Ideas From Your Competitors – My own blog
This article was very well received and appealed to both new and experienced digital marketers
How to get a job or progress your career in digital marketing – State of Digital
I wrote this blog post to help people who are interested in a career in digital marketing
Negative SEO: A new online evil – The Guardian
I wrote this article for The Guardian a number of years ago to raise the alarm about negative SEO
PR Inspired Link Acquesition Techniques – State of Digital
This article looks at strategies to get your website featured in the media and contains some examples that may or may not have involved me 😉
Below is an insight into some of the business sectors I’ve been involved in:
- Automotive: I was recently the digital marketing manager for a large FTSE250 automotive retail company. My job involved being responsible or the overall digital marketing strategy for the business and recruiting, then managing, a brand new in-house team.
- Fitness: I helped an eCommerce fitness equipment retailer massively improve their web presence while also cutting marketing spend which resulted in a large increase in online revenue.
- Sports Nutrition: I’ve been involved in the marketing and Digital PR for a number of sports nutrition brands.
- Cosmetics: Responsible for the whole digital marketing strategy for several online luxury beauty retailers.
- Finance: I worked to improve the search engine presence of a finance business for relevant revenue generating search queries. Part of this strategy involved in vastly improving blog content which actually led to the Director of the business being featured on national TV on several occasions.
- Hospitality: I’ve worked with several hotels and restaurants to help improve their overall digital marketing strategy.
- Dentistry: Helped a Glasgow based dentist increase his customer base using a mixture of SEO, PPC and Social Media Marketing.
- Agencies: I’ve worked full-time in agency positions in the past but since moving in-house I’ve also worked with agencies on a consultancy basis to improve their online presence and digital marketing offering.
- Fashion: Helped improve the online presence of a fashion retail business using SEO, PPC & CRO.
- Agricultural: Helped an agricultural business build a brand new website and improve their search engine presence which resulted in an increase in leads for extremely high-ticket items.
SOME OF THE TECHNOLOGIES I’VE WORKED WITH OR CURRENTLY USE
- Drupal: An open source CMS. I’ve been involved in the during the planning, design and development phase of Drupal projects and also worked on several projects that involved optimising Drupal sites from a conversion and SEO perspective
- Magento: A CMS specifically for ecommerce websites. I’ve been involved in full lifecycle Magento projects including design, development, usability, SEO and CRO
- NetDirector: A CMS specifically for the automotive industry. I was involved in a huge project that involved migrating several websites from an old version of NetDirector to a brand new version of the software.
- Joomla: Experience working on SEO projects for websites powered by Joomla
- DotNetNuke: A content management system based on Microsoft .NET. I’ve successfully implemented SEO strategies on websites built using this platform
- WordPress: WordPress is actually one of my favourite open source CMSs. I’ve been lucky enough to project management full design and development for large WordPress websites. I also enjoy creating my own WordPress websites in my spare time and the website you are currently visiting is powered by this platform
- Google Analytics: I use Google Analytics on a daily basis to analyse data, troubleshoot and use the findings to make improvements
- Google AdWords: I’ve Google AdWords budgets of over £1million per year
- SEMrush: SEMrush has got to be my favourite digital marketing competitive analysis tool. I regularly use this tool to gain an insight into competitor’s digital marketing strategies
- Other: Bing Ads, Screaming Frog, URL Profiler, Google Webmaster Tools, Visual Website Optimiser, Search Metrics & many others…
I think it’s important to build an eclectic skill set when you work in digital marketing so I try to get involved in as many areas as possible. Below will give you an insight into some of the areas I focus on:
- SEO: I have successfully developed and implemented SEO strategies for small local businesses and large FTSE250 companies.
- PPC: I’ve been responsible for the strategy, implementation and optimisation of a large number of PPC projects and worked with services such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, Criteo and Facebook Ads to name a few.
- Project Management: Being involved in web marketing naturally lead to me becoming involved in a number of web delivery projects. As a result, I eventually became involved in full end-to-end delivery on a number of projects.
- UX, usability & CRO: Improving user experience should go hand in hand with any form of marketing that drives traffic to a website. I’ve been involved in several projects that focus on improving website usability throughout my career.
- Web Data Analysis: Being able to interpret analytical data has allowed me to improve conversion rates, optimise spend and ultimately improve revenue.
- Research: I’ve carried out online research for competitor analysis purposes but have also used my digital research skills to help companies make product buying decisions based on market trends.
- Other areas: Social media marketing, email marketing, competitor analysis, digital strategy, copywriting, content marketing, eCommerce, project management and recruitment.